Sunday, March 4, 2007

"Amazing Grace"



I recently saw the movie “Amazing Grace”. It came out in some theaters very recently but I believe I heard that it is only in around 800 in the whole country. The radio talk show hosts were saying that it will not make much money because there is no sex and not much violence in the film, which is also why it has made it to so few theaters. The reviews that the talk show hosts were giving of the film were very positive and the trailer looked like it would be entertaining so I decided to give it a shot.
The film takes place during the late 1700’s and early 1800’s, mostly in England. It tells the story of William Wilberforce, an active politician in British parliament, and his struggle with only few supporters to fight for the abolition of the slave trade. He becomes very close friends with an ex-captain of a slave ship who converted to Christianity and wrote the song “Amazing Grace”, probably one of the most famous songs of all time and in my opinion a great song. The song is incorporated into the film a few times but it is played right before the credits, which to me was worth the price of admission.
In my opinion this film was excellent. It was so refreshing to see such a wholesome movie with little to no cussing, no sex, no violence, yet it was very entertaining and uplifting. It is a bit disheartening to me that it will not make much money because as a society we are entertained by the “crap”, that makes its way into most movies. Some movies that have good moral content end up rather cheesy with bad acting but this was exactly the opposite, with great acting and an entertaining plot. I strongly recommend everyone to maybe go out on a whim and support a good film.

1 comment:

Michelle Brake said...

I saw this movie last week too, and I thought it was the best movie I had seen in a long time. My mom saw it in a Christian journal she was reading and said she had to see it when it came out, which is unusual for her. I am a Christian myself and this movie really touched my heart, especially since, like you said, it has no violence, sex, etc... I happy to see some other people my age going to see it.