Sunday, February 25, 2007

Analysis of Stereogum

The blog that I was assigned to analyze was stereogum.com. I am an ignorant blogger and prior to this class never gave it much consideration. It happened to just be something I would hear about every once in a while. As an unfamiliar blogger it is needless to say that I am also unfamiliar with and had never even heard of the stereogum blog site.


It is a blog where people can comment on random celebrities, such as Brittany Spears, some current cultural aspects in American culture, random bands and other things that to me do not seem to have a common thread other than that they all are things or people most Americans know of. To me, many blogs are a waste of time to talk about random things like those mentioned above although that is my personal opinion. This blog in particular is not appealing to me at all, maybe it is that I am not interested in blogging in the first place, but visually it is a bit annoying.


There is an advertisement constantly blinking on the top of the home page, the message of it is hard to decipher. The home page has the latest posts. It appears that most all of the post on the home page have a Youtube video incorporated into the post. The rest of the site does not appear to follow this suit. I am not sure if it is just the topic that is being talked about lately that everyone feels the need to incorporate Youtube into their posts, but they add a lot visually as well as audibly to the site. To the right on the home page are the links to the comments that everyone discusses, followed by a list of MP3s that are available to be downloaded.


This blog differs from my own in that stereogum is a site with no real focus but to talk about random things. My blog is a school assignment, which means that the things posted are not anything and everything but has parameters. Each post on my blog has specific guidelines where as those who go on stereogum probably enjoy blogging and are able to write and post about whatever they want. It also is different from mine because it is very clear that there are very many people who visit this blog where mine is a bit less well known and not as appealing to a general audience. It would be difficult to incorporate any of these things into my blog. I feel as if there are not many things that could be incorporated at this point as my blog is for a very different purpose than stereogum.

1 comment:

Analisa said...

I think I would tend to agree with you in that that blog seems very pointless and “silly” for lack of a better word. I watched the Oscars tonight and a comment was made about YouTube and how everyone can use it, and thus this blog seems less impressive. While the comments may be genuine, it isn’t very unique I don’t think, and this would not be a blog that I would visit ever again (if I could help it). I think your analysis is accurate and summarizes any and all comments that I could make on this blog.