Friday, February 2, 2007

Plans to Observe Colorado's Congress

The place that I plan on observing for my observational essay is the State Capitol building as I plan to sit in on a session of our Colorado State Congress. The websites that I have found to provide some background information are the website for the Department of Personnel and Administration, the Official site of the State of Colorado, and the site for the Colorado General Assembly.
I cannot speak for most of my peers but as for me I am rather ignorant when it comes to knowing much about our State Congress. When we studied in school I always remember studying about the government on a national level with the three branches of Federal government, however studying the state government was not something that was frequented.
I think it would be very interesting to sit in on a session of the Colorado Congress. I have never sat in on really any congressional meeting whether it be local or on the national level so it is intriguing to be able to observe what actually takes place when our local public officials meet to discuss matters of the State.
The Official Site for Colorado offers a lot of general information about Colorado which is valuable for those that maybe are new to the area, as well as for Coloradans wanting to know more about our beautiful state, essentially the audience I will be reaching. Also on this page there are links about the state government. It sheds much light on who the actual elected officials are, their backgrounds and roles in our Colorado government. This information is useful for my observations. I will be able to know who the people are and what their specific positions are as I observe the session.
The website for the Colorado General Assembly also serves as a great tool to learn about the regular schedule for when the Assembly convenes. It also tells what information will be discussed during each meeting as well as who the featured speakers will be.
Another useful site for background information on the Colorado Congress is the Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration. This department is the cabinet that serves as the business center for the state government. It is interesting to find out the business side of the government and all of the aspects that happen behind the actual congressional work.
These are all helpful sources as I prepare to observe the state congress in action this week. I think that probably my audience will think of this subject and maybe find it to be a bit dry and boring. I think that most of this idea that the state congress is boring comes from really a lack of knowledge as I stated previously. I hope to be able to share on some of the more interesting and exciting aspects of the state congress in my essay. However, as I have never actually sat in on a meeting, it could very well be boring as many of us probably think but hopefully my results are to the contrary.

No comments: